Saturday, June 03, 2006

Mixed Up

I am cross-dominant. My body is mixed up about which hand to use at what time. It helps sometimes.

I tend to feel
1) Special. Lefthanders like me only make up 10% of the US population and 13% of the world population.
2) Superior. Can you navigate a computer mouse with your right hand while taking notes or eating with a fork with your left hand? Can you cut meat with the knife in your right hand and eat it with your fork in your left hand, and then not have to switch your utensils all meal long? I can definitely multi-task.

Other times I feel
3) Confused. I get confused over which hand to use when I iron clothes or cut up food. I always feel very awkward drying my hair while holding a brush. Playing pool is very awkward as well.

These are the activities I feel comfortable doing with my left hand:
1)Writing
2)Eating
3)Holding the phone against my left ear
4)Playing tennis, ping pong

And for the ones I like doing with my right hand (or foot):
1)Playing soccer, baseball, golf, basketball
2) Using scissors or knives
3)Throwing or catching anything

I'll think of more later. Whenever I try to research my quirkiness, I just find websites about firearms use. I guess my life would become even more complicated if I tried to figure out which hand to use to fire a gun.....

I really like tying my shoes bunny ears. It makes my hands feel normal:)

1 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be on a gymnastics team for a long time, and for some reason, it was the only thing I did left handed. But it was really hard to be left handed in gymnastics because my coach had to explain everything backwards for me. So one day I decided to switch to being right handed, and I taught myself everything backwards. The result is that I can do gymnastics both handed :) Not a very universal trick, but kind of fun.

I do wish I could do the computer/eating/note taking one though. That would come in useful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home